Friday, June 13, 2014

The Forgotten Blessing of a Bible

Here in the United States we are all free to believe what we want to believe, and I myself am blessed to live in a country where I can freely express my belief as a Christian. With that comes the privilege to read my bible at any point in time of my choosing. Now I can only speak for myself on this, but as of now I have about four bibles in my possession altogether. This got me to thinking and considering the fact that we as Christians in America have forgotten how much of a blessing that a bible could be in our lives, and the lives of those around us.

I think that one of the greatest times that I myself had witnessed this was on the mission trip that I was so blessed to be able to go on. The church we worked with up in the mountains of the great state of North Carolina. The church didn't have the resources that where needed in order to put on a vacation bible school for their church, so we provided them with those resources by putting on a VBS for them to enjoy. I do believe it was towards the end of our time there, and I remember we gave each child a gift, which where small bibles that had been perfect for them to have and begin reading and learning the Word of God. They where so excited to have these bibles, that they had been asking questions on how to read them and where to start with such a task. It was a blessing to see this in my own state and my own country. Imagine that we have areas even in our own country where we have people that have never had their own bible to call their own. Most of us have more bibles that we need, only one maybe two that are used on a regular basis. There are also people in other countries that can't have bibles because they are prohibited by their own governments. Here we all are with our multiple bibles, and one of those are likely only being used.

The blessing of a bible, I think here in the United States has been forgotten. We all need to be reminded that having one bible is just simply a blessing from God, and having more than one bible is an abundance from the Lord. Take a moment as you are sitting there reading this and think back, and simply remember when you got the first bible that you ever owned. Remember how you used to read it, how you used to study it and ponder over it and how it changed who you where to who you are right now at present. All of us in the United States are very blessed, and we need to remember the simple blessing if having a bible to read, that the more we read it the more it changes us into better people that god can use to further his kingdom. Thanks for reading, God Bless all of you.

-The Christian

No comments: